Tuesday, November 06, 2007

"you have gas"

We put in an order at Home Depot for a new water heater. Yesterday, I answered the phone call to set up the install appt. I assumed it was just going to be a call to set up a time for someone to come out. It ended up being a call with a lot of questions that I didn't know the answer to. When someone asks me questions really fast over the phone, for some reason I blurt out an answer back whether it's correct or not. The lady asked, "Do you have gas, blah, blah, electric." I answered electric. The lady on the phone had me go down to the breaker box and get some sort of info from it. I told her that I didn't see the breaker that had the water heater label by the side of it. I then said maybe we didn't have electric. She asked me, "Are there pipes coming from the top of the water heater. Yes. "You have gas," the lady said.

I felt like such an idiot. She then had to change the info. on her computer which took some time. She apologized for the delay. I told her it was my fault for telling you we had electric in the first place. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to basic household knowledge. I am from the traditional mindset of the 1950's that that's the man's job and I don't need to know it. I definitely need to come into the present century. I need to care about whether or not our water heater runs on gas. Or that we have copper plumbing. Dust is going to go over some basic crap with me sometime. I hope that I care enough to retain the info. I don't want to look like an idiot anymore.

5 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Answer me this: Does your basement have cracks?

Don't worry about it. Next time you'll know the answer. We all start out ignorant.

shakedust said...

Golden did know where the water main on the house when the guy came to install the water heater, so she knows something about the house. Some things you just learn when you need to know them and not before.

Portland wawa said...

Golden, I can relate. We had no heat for a couple of weeks this month so BB and I tried to check the pilot?? We have an automatic pilot apparently.

So we scheduled a heating repair man to come out the following week and it was cold in the house for about a week. BB's dad came over and looked into the problem. He discovered in about 5 minutes that some turkey had shut our gas valve off outside in the yard!!! I asked "how come we have hot water"? Apparently, it's electric. I didn't know!!

T said...

I had to go get parts for our hot water heater, based on what the person said I thought I had the wrong part when I got home, so I went back to the store and her husband said "good news--that one will work." I felt like an idiot, but then again his wife didn't know either! :)

roamingwriter said...

We are learning a different set of things about the house over here. Talk about ignorant I don't know it in English, much less in Spanish. It's true - you learn things for the season you need them then your brain discards them for more interesting info.