Monday, November 26, 2007

among the grey-haired

Sunday morning Dust, NJ, my Mom and Dad and I went to a church service of sorts in Branson, MO. It was held at the IMAX theatre in a smaller theatre. The songs/sermonette was done by a Baptist family turned pentecostal -is how they describe themselves. My parents have attended there before and mentioned that they usually only have about 20 people there. When we opened the theatre door, we saw a sea of grey-haired people. Several tour buses had unloaded. There were four seats left beside the door and we grabbed them. NJ did well for about 3o minutes. I kept him busy with a sippy cup of milk and graham crackers. The music was loud so it didn't matter if he got fussy. You were supposed to yell where your tour bus was from as they went around the auditorium. Everyone was from Oklahoma it seemed.

The logic behind going here was that we could take NJ out easily enough if he got cranky. I didn't want to send NJ to a strange church nursery. Mom and I took NJ out to run around the IMAX lobby. We walked around the gift shops also.

After church, we ate at a family type restaurant attached to the IMAX. I did feel out of place there also. Mainly grey-haired.

8 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I've had similar experiences here in Portland. I remember the first AOG church I visited out here was pretty grey. Me and the minister were the youngest people there.

T said...

Yeah, that would be different, just think if you go grey early you won't feel as out of place! :) LOL

Portland wawa said...

Sounds interesting. Sometimes older people are funny but sometimes they are cranky. You never know.

shakedust said...

It was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to go every week.

roamingwriter said...

I think my grandparents went there a couple times when they lived in Spfd. I think it is almost a "show" even though it is church. That brings up an interesting point - how do we marry a church of old and young it seems a shame to only have one or the other. Though when it comes to Branson I would think grey hair would always out number the rest!

f o r r e s t said...

awesome!!!

f o r r e s t said...

Hey, you took your post down. I read it and hadn't commented yet.

I just want to say - good job. I know the people you are referring to and given the choice (which I am) I wouldn't choose them as my friends.

Oh well.

Dash said...

You wanna see grey hairs? Try going to the Lawrence wek theatre on a Tuesday afternoon. I swear - some of the theatre seats had built in IV poles.