Wednesday, October 24, 2007

nature center

Last Saturday, Dust, NJ and I went to the Ernie Miller Nature Center in Olathe. I am always looking for a new place to take NJ for a walk. It was small but nice. I was used to the Springfield, MO Nature Center which is quite large.

The one thing that was interesting was that there was a birthday party going on. That was a new concept for me---birthday parties at a nature center. There were people dressed up along the pathway in costumes portraying nursery rhymes/stories. When we passed Johnny Appleseed, I thought he looked familiar. And I was right. We ran into his wife coming out of the nature center. We will have to tease him about being Johnny Appleseed.

Is a birthday party at a nature center a geeky thing to do? Maybe for a pre-schooler it would be cool. Who knows, NJ might have one there some day.

8 comments:

shakedust said...

I think when NJ is older and we can take him on the unpaved trails the nature center will be a little cooler. It was nice to get out of the house, though, and see someone we knew in a Johnny Appleseed costume.

Achtung BB said...

What does a Johnny Appleseed costume look life?

Portland wawa said...

I worked at that nature center in high school for extra credit. My teacher was the director. I had to sit by a prairie dog and explain everything I knew about them to anyone who walked by for 8 hours. I remember being ready to go home, very boring.

T said...

I don't think nature center is the first pick for most kids for their birthdays?! But maybe? Who knows?

Dash said...

Did they have stop for the Song of Hiawatha? That's always a positive way to introduce kids to native american culture.

not

f o r r e s t said...

Why would that be geeky? Kids love the outdoors and animals and adventures.

roamingwriter said...

A nature center birthday sounds very portland to me. And they're suppose to be so cool up there! I say do the cheapest possible birthdays til the kids are old enough to ask for something else! But I guess that refers back to the last post!

Portland wawa said...

If a nature center party sounds very Portland, then I'm confused since golden is in the midwest. Or, oh, I'm confused now.