Thursday, October 18, 2007

frugal

I have been analyzing my purchasing behavior. I realized that I am kinda wishy washy when it comes to spending. Sometimes I am very frugal and other times I make excessive purchases. I make the stupidest mistakes financially sometimes and sometimes I am extremely cheap.

We got professional photos taken at Target for the holidays. I was talked into buying the Christmas cards-(4x7). I probably should have taken a picture at home and gone through Wal-Mart.com for the Christmas cards. Wal-Mart is around 12 cents a picture, i think. Oh, well.

NJ has some clothes that are too small for him. I had him wear these around the house. Maybe I am being too cheap and should go out and get him some more shirts/pants at Target. I tend to make bad decisions on clothing for myself. I have clothes that don't look right on me but I didn't try to return them to the store either. I usually end up realizing that the clothes aren't right for me after I have washed and worn them.

Dust has mentioned that my philosophy on grocery shopping is buying only what I need for the week. (Just in Time inventory) It is probably just me being cheap. I used to only put $5 of gas in my car at a time. Is that being cheap? Since I've been married to Dust, I always fill my tank to full. Mostly for the convenience. I was able to get by with only putting $5 at a time in my car during college because Dust drove me around.

I wish I could find a balance. I don't want to be too cheap but I don't want to make foolish excessive purchases either.

5 comments:

Portland wawa said...

I can relate. I tend to be frugal at times and excessive at times. I have an idea why women are like that. We instinctly try to be frugal because we buy most of the family purchases, groceries, household items, clothes/shoes for the kids. But we can only put off buying something for so long or scrimp for so long until one day we say, WHY NOT? I scrimp and save most of the time. Then we go on a spending spree only to return to our frugal living for a while.

Achtung BB said...

I've never heard of only putting $5 in the car at a time. What's the point? $5 won't get you far these days

shakedust said...

Golden and I have different philosophies for handling money sometimes. Every couple is like that I am sure.

Golden is one of the best people I know at money management, though. My approach to money doesn't always make me very easy to live with.

T said...

My mom use to only put $5 in the car. I have always been a "fill it up" person! :) When in KC I filled up at the end of every week even when I was only at 1/2 a tank! :)

roamingwriter said...

I was a $5 gas girl. I hear you! Somewhere Dar changed that habit or maybe I got too close too many times. I tend to splurge by wanting to eat out or spend after long periods of not spending. Maybe little by little would be better? I don't know.