Monday, August 27, 2007

walk across the room

In Sunday School class, we are going to read a book by Bill Hybels called, "Just a walk across the room." I just read a few pages of the book. The author tells a story of a Muslim man that was at a party. He was standing alone in the corner when a man noticed him and left his "circle of comfort". This man started a conversation with the Muslim man. The two ended up meeting for coffee and discussing their different religions. The Muslim man came to know Christ and it all began because a man decided to walk across the room.

Sometimes it can be scary to walk across the room to talk to someone. You would think because I am shy that it would be a hard thing for me to do. I can walk across the room and say hello but I don't have much more than that. Recently, I was in a social setting and I decided to walk across the room and say hello to someone. When I said hello, the person immediately left and said something about getting something to eat. This really hurt my feelings. It was quite obvious that I came over there to talk to this person. Am I really that awful to have to talk to? I was just trying to be nice because I know how lonely it can be to be standing alone. I hope that I am misinterpreting this whole scenerio. Maybe the person wanted to be alone or this person genuinely got hungry at that moment and decided to get something to eat. I am going to try to not let this event hinder me from walking across the room again.

7 comments:

Achtung BB said...

That does sound a little rude. Maybe they had to pass gas or something.

shakedust said...

I haven't looked at the book yet. It could be good and it could be iffy.

Some people are waiting for someone to talk to them and some people just don't want to talk. I know I sometimes sound like I am trying to shut people down, but I usually don't mean it.

Portland wawa said...

Don't take it personally is my advice. You shouldn't have to feel bad about wanting to reach out and be friendly.

T said...

It's funny I thought this was going to be a blog about NJ! :) If you think about it when a child walks they have to learn balance and they have to take one step at a time at first. Somewhere, somehow in the middle of all the bumps to the bum they find a way up and take that first trek across a room! :)

Maybe it's the same principal here. After a while it's got to get easier. I use to have a difficult time making an effort to talk to people, I found myself taking steps out of my comfort zone slowly but now my comfort zone has grown and it's not as much of a challenge.

f o r r e s t said...

Walk across the room and wear thick skin.

It was probably not an attack on you, but maybe that person was more uncomfortable than you were.

windarkwingod said...

ITs hard for me to walk across the room. Most times the rewards are worth the brush-offs. but not easy to be vulnerable to rejection for me.

roamingwriter said...

Don't give it up. I would feel bad if someone did that to me and I'm an extrovert. I'd be like - okay, then. But it is possible that person was so freaked out by trying to make conversation that they fled in fear. You are the bigger person. Pat yourself on the back and keep on walkin'. Maybe wear boots - like that old song. These boots are made for walkin, and that's just what they'll do, one of these days these boots will walk all over you. (Just in case you need them.)