Thursday, August 23, 2007

"dream of doing nothing"

I like Peter Gibbon's response in the movie "Office Space" when asked what he would like to do if he had a million dollars. Absolutely nothing. The question is supposed to help you find your career job. Dust and I like to joke about our dream of doing nothing.

Dust and I also joke about a line we heard on a "Will & Grace" episode. "Oh, he thinks we do things. Does he know that we don't do things?" I am notorious for saying things that I want to do or am going to do but never do. Shock of all shocks..I am actually doing something.

This week I started painting the floor boards in our house white. They were originally wood color but the previous owners painted them white. With the toy bus and other toys banging into the wall, the paint has chipped really bad. I am actually doing something! I got off my butt and started painting! It already looks a lot better. Also, we actually ordered some new bathroom and bedroom doors for the house!

Even though I have a dream of doing nothing, it isn't as fulfilling as actually doing something. I am embarrassed when I think about how I could have improved our house years ago, but I decided to sit on my butt instead.

5 comments:

shakedust said...

I generally prefer not doing anything to having a nice-looking house. Sorry I don't help the situation any. :)

Portland wawa said...

I don't think you sit on your butt and do nothing! You guys work hard, you have a kid, and kids take a lot of time. I applaud you painting with a toddler running around.

Achtung BB said...

When it comes to home improvement, I prefer to do nothing and pay someone else to do it.

T said...

I just lost my comment :(. I'll try again.

Kudos to you! It is fulfilling to do things, but doing nothing is fun too! :) I like "projects" so we can go and do stuff and then do nothing for a while and then do stuff again some other time! :) I'm definately a project person!

roamingwriter said...

I usually do nothing on Saturday mornings. It usually involves the couch, a book or a video. Today I'm doing something! I'm blogging!