Friday, August 10, 2007

trip to the grocery store

This morning I decided to attempt to go to the grocery store with NJ. I figured that I need to get out of the house more during the weekdays so I don't feel so isolated. We both got ready and left about 9 am.

When we got there, I put him in the cart seat. He seemed ok for a few minutes. He stared at a little girl walking around with her mommy. He got scared and started grunting for mommy. He tried to grab on to me and looked at me with a desparate look. He has been in a clingy stage for awhile now. NJ started crying and I decided to get him out of the cart. If you have ever heard NJ cry, you know how loud he can get. I attempted to push the cart and hold him at the same time. I shifted NJ from hip to hip. I could push the cart straight with one hand only for a short distance. I thought he might be calmed down enough to put him back in the cart. Nope, he screamed again. We put on quite a show I am sure. I got a few stares. In some ways I am glad that he screamed when I put him in the cart seat because it validated my reasoning of holding him. I tried to buckle him in the cart seat about 4 to 5 times while I was shopping. I was going to buy a 12 pk of Pepsi. I can't hold him and pick up a 12 pk at the same time. Since he wouldn't stay in the seat, I put him down on the ground. NJ fell back and hit his head on the metal rack. I felt like a terrible mother at that point. I decided not to bother with the pop cans and continued down the aisle while trying to comfort NJ.

Apparantly, NJ dropped his pacifier around the meat section. I didn't realize it until a couple of aisles later. I hurried as fast as I could to the check-out lady. She said that it looked like I had my hands full. I explained the situation. I put NJ back in the cart seat so I could pay. He, of course, screamed again. The check-out lady said,"What a loud noise to come from a small baby". Before we went out the door, I put him in the seat and just let him cry. He seemed ok while I was putting the groceries in the trunk.

I have decided not to attempt to go to the grocery store alone with NJ again until he is out of this clingy stage.

8 comments:

shakedust said...

I'm sorry to hear the grocery store trip so badly. If he wants to be, he can be incredibly loud.

I guess that makes sense since we are both so loud. :)

Achtung BB said...

Nibbles never stayed in the seat. Now she runs around the store picking everything up and putting it in the cart. Wah-Wah has had some very trying super market trips. Nibbles stays home with me most of the time now so Wah-Wah can shop in peace.

T said...

Trips to the store can be a challenge with little ones of all ages!

Sorry you had a difficult time. :(

f o r r e s t said...

Ahh yes. Everything is hard with the first one, especially the clingy stage.

Portland wawa said...

It actually doesn't get any better as they get older. When they can walk, they refuse to stay in the cart and then they think the supermarket is like a big toy store, with snacks to boot!!! Nibbles will tear open bread and hotdog bags are start eating before I realize. And when woogy and nibbles both go, they play who can run up and down the aisles the fastest. I have actually wanted to disown Nibbles a few times by the time we were down.

f o r r e s t said...

Oh, I was thinking it was easier when they get older and when it is your second or third, because you know how to handle the situations better. But I guess each kid is different.

roamingwriter said...

I don't think anything about that sounds like it was fun. Glad you survived. Hopefully you can eventually go to the store with him. Waiting til he's five to go might be challenging! : )

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.