Monday, February 25, 2008

thoughts on starting a new decade

Tomorrow is my first day as a thirty-something. Actually just thirty without the something. It was a huge deal to me when I turned 20. I was leaving my identity as a "teenager" and I felt really old. Dust and I were dating at the time. It was raining that night and I thought it would be fun to run around the college campus in the rain. Dust humored me, but I know he didn't really want to get wet.

Really, turning 30 isn't a big deal to me. I am kinda looking forward to it. I want to embrace it. I got my hair cut a little over a week ago. It is just a bob, but it is cut at an angle with the back a little shorter than the sides. I felt like I looked too young with longer hair. I feel like I have a little more self esteem. I have more confidence.

Starting a new decade in life kinda feels like New Year's Day. I feel like I have a fresh start. I can make new goals and change whatever I want to change. I have the typical resolutions that most people have on New Years Day: eat healther and exercise. But this time, I have more realistic changes. With Dust's eating/health issues, we definitely need to change things as a family.

My twenties gave me a husband and a child. I will look back at my twenties with fondness. I wonder what my thirties has in store for me? I don't want to rush them. I am going to take one day at a time.

7 comments:

shakedust said...

Happy birthday! I am excited to find out what this decade has in store for all of us.

Dash said...

Judging by the time stamp, I may just be the first person to wish you happy b-day (EST). Congrats on making it to 30!!!

Today, one of my students explained AT&T's parental control products as "something to protect your kids from the creepy 35 year olds that play online games."

When I suggested that he might be offending some of his customers with remarks like that - he held firm to his position (apparently anyone 30+ is hopelessly old and creepy).

The good news is ... you probably have a few days before they come take your computer away.

Portland wawa said...

30 isn't so bad. BB took it pretty seriously too when he turned 30. Wisdom comes with age is how I look at it. Enjoy your 30's.

Achtung BB said...

30 isn't so bad. Sorry to hear about Dust's health issues. My
30's have brought me another child and back problems.

T said...

30. It's great! Live it up and Love it! I had both kids while in my 20's and was married in that decade too...so the major thing I have gotten from my 30's is learning how to have fun. Okay--this might become it's own blog, so maybe I'll just hop on over to the dashboard and start it now! :)

roamingwriter said...

You are wise to take it one day at a time. I had some regrets when I turned 30 but I remedied those during my 30s. I just hit the big 40 a few months ago. Other than feeling like that sounds kind old I don't mind. The 30s went really fast though, I felt like, hang on - what happened to 30-something!?

f o r r e s t said...

Congrats on taking the plunge!

You are good to evaluate your life at those milestones. It never occured to me to stop and think about decades. Maybe I'll start with 40, but that is way off, right?