Wednesday, March 05, 2008

obligation versus love

I want to share something that struck a chord with me while reading, "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World." The basis of the book is about the sisters Mary and Martha in the Bible. The particular chapter was about service. "Service without spirituality is exhausting and hopeless. But in the same respect, spirituality without service is barren and selfish. Martha was doing a good thing in regards to the kitchen work she was doing for Jesus, but she missed out on the spiritual side. The "better part" was not taken from Mary as she sat at Jesus' feet. I kinda feel like maybe I have been selfish for awhile in regards to ministry/service. I don't have a specific ministry that I am doing at the church right now. I have given meals to some moms and babysitted but that's about it since NJ has been around.

The book quotes the book, "Love Adds a Little Chocolate" by Linda Andersen. "Duty can pack an adequate sack lunch, but love may decide to enclose a little love note inside...Obligation sends the children to bed on time, but love tucks the covers in around their necks and passes out kisses and hugs....Duty gets offended quickly if it isn't appreciated, but love learns to laugh a lot and to work for the sheer joy of doing it. I received an attitude check from God. I have had a bad attitude about serving my family in regards to all the housework that I do. I need to serve my family with love and do things just because I love my family.

7 comments:

shakedust said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shakedust said...

I definitely appreciate all of the work you do. Managing the household and taking care of NJ is quite a task.

Achtung BB said...

I wouldn't too hard on yourself for not having a ministry in church. NJ is your prioty, but as he gets older, I think you will find a little more time for a ministry

Portland wawa said...

I liked your blog. Very interesting thoughts. Especially this one: "Duty gets offended quickly if it isn't appreciated, but love learns to laugh a lot and to work for the sheer joy of doing it."
Usually I do all the things I do without wanting acknowledgement for them. There are times I do though.

Dash said...

It struck me how similar this perspective is that to the stuff that time management/effectiveness guru's prattle on about. (note: All phrases in "" are titles of actual book or motivational / training programs.)

Two of Dr. Covey's 7 Habits ... "Being Proactive" and "Exercising Integrity in The Moment of Truth" are really focused on doing "What Matters Most" (Mary's focus on knowing Christ) - not what is Urgent (Martha's focus on the business at hand).

In an ironic connection to Dust's post, "What Matters Most" is also the name of a syndicated radio program out of Chicago hosted by a gal named Patty Duddley. Every time I hear her give a word of encouragement (usually focused at the female listeners) I find tht she's advocating putting "First Things First" - another Covey quip.

You know all Truth must really be God's truth when we quote the Mormons :-)

T said...

I still want to get that book! Thanks for sharing.

roamingwriter said...

I'm afraid I'm an obligation person. I don't like the duties of life but I do them because they have to get done. I really could learn a lot by examining my motives and seeing if I could modify them to more positive ones. Really good post!