Thursday, January 03, 2008

dig deeper

Dig deeper. This is my motto for 2008. Let me explain. I was reading an article in MomSense magazine titled Stuck Places. It is about feeling stuck in your life when you have little control over the circumstances. Winter weather and sick children can make you feel stuck at home. There was a story about a woman that went to a retreat center to get "filled up". The woman told the nun that she felt dry and empty. The nun replied, "You know that when the well runs dry, the farmer doesn't refill it. He digs deeper."

Yesterday on the drive home from our Christmas vacation, I kept saying to myself dig deeper. NJ was extremely fussy and uncomfortable. The portable DVD player wasn't helping him any more. He had a hard time falling asleep for his nap. I tried not to get frustrated as well because I was tired also. I had to tap into my inner resources and with God's help, I didn't loose my cool.

This stage of life is only temporary. The way it is now isn't the way it will always be.

6 comments:

Portland wawa said...

That is an interesting motto. I have always thought that first mom was right.

When I am giving at work all day and I come home and give to the kids, the dog, my husband, day after day, I feel empty after a few months. Usually people tell you to have some time to yourself, to fill up so you have more to give.

I am not sure how to dig deeper. Did this article define exactly how to do this besides prayer??

T said...

"This stage of life is only temporary. The way it is now isn't the way it will always be."

That's the only way for me to 'dig deeper' right now. I just keep saying that "This too shall pass." and holding on that Spring time in my life will hit again, but it's been a LONG winter.

Achtung BB said...

that's a good motto. I deal with frustrating dysfunctional people all day and feel pretty spent when I get home. I have to put myself on "auto pilot."

shakedust said...

It's a tough motto because it implies that you have responsibility to get through the tough time.

One thing about rough times is that when they are over, I feel like something has been accomplished. Don't know why, but I do.

Dash said...

The good news is that it's never to hard to find the crap that needs to be dug out. I've learned that the cows will be faithfull in dumping it everywhere you want to go.

The bad news is that sometimes that shovel gets buried in the crap and you have to go through it before you can start digging.

That's probably not the metaphor that the inspirational Mom was going for - but it seemed appropriate to me.

shakedust said...

I know I at least always like cow dung metaphors. :)