Saturday, March 03, 2007

battle of the wills

We knew when NJ was just a month old that he had a strong will. He would fight to get free from our grip. NJ is fighting again in regards to taking his pedialyte. NJ has been suffering from vomiting and diahrrea since Tuesday. The doctor said that I should give him 2 to 4 ounces of pedialyte every time he has diahrrea.

NJ refuses to drink the pedialyte from the bottle. He knows that his formula comes from the bottle and if it isn't in there, he pitches a fit. He cries so hard that I have to stop to calm him down. I tried giving it with a spoon and he turned his head each time and closed his mouth. I have tried different types of spoons, cups and bottles. I was bound and determined to get that pedialyte down him. I turned on our baby einstein video to distract him. As he was mesmerized by the show, I slipped in 4 oz. of pedialyte by spoon! I won this round, NJ.

4 comments:

shakedust said...

It does feel like we need to have a masters in child psychology to know how to get NJ to take the pedialyte. We started using a medicine stopper and that works a little better. Still, we (especially Golden) can't wait till NJ is healthy again.

T said...

YAY mom! Good idea on the medicine stopper too. At least you are on the up swing of this. Poor guy. :(

Achtung BB said...

Good for you! Isn't parenthood fun?

roamingwriter said...

Score one for Golden! Good job...the old distraction method. Now you just have to keep the upper hand a while longer.