Saturday, February 10, 2007

"Things that make me gag"

I went to bed early tonight because I have a cold but couldn't sleep. My mind wouldn't shut off. So, a new post entered my mind and I decided to write it down now. Has anyone ever wondered what I really think about things? I used to say the line, "gag me with a spoon" in the '80's. This is a list of things that make me "gag."
  • People who seek out to date and then marry someone with the same first initial that they have. They name their kids with that same first initial. And their dog. Too cutesie! gag.
  • People who will only date/marry someone with the same hair color that they have. Example: Someone has blonde hair and they want to marry someone with blonde hair so that they can have kids with blonde hair. "gag" me. Can someone say superficial?
  • Someone who only uses china dishes in their house for every meal. They serve pretzels and popcorn on china.
  • Teapots. I can't stand them. Collections of teapots make me gag. Tea parties also make me gag. It seems too fake and showy.
  • Fluffy dresses and tutus. Ballerinas. Leotards.
  • Bows. Any type of bow on anything. Bows in hair.
  • Tulle used in weddings.
  • Couches with plastic covers on them. Usually in living rooms that are just for show and not used by anyone.
  • Sequins.
  • Any type of floral pattern.
  • Most shades of the color pink.
  • MaryKay parties and consultants and products.

I apologize if I offended anyone. Blame it on the cold medicine.

11 comments:

shakedust said...

This is a collection that I didn't even know completely. Leotards? That's a new one for me.

Most shades of pink don't bother me, but then again I can't distinguish most shades of pink. :)

T said...

I was with you till you got to the Mary Kay! I do still like Mary Kay products, but I don't use them like I use too. Actually I use the skin care more then their make up. Oh well.

I too gag at tea, oh you just meant the parties, huh?! I usually just said "Gag me" I was too cool to finish "with a spoon!" :)

The initial thing--I knew a family. They were "Kenny, Kathy, Kenny (Jr), Karl, and Kody. :)

Okay, I'm done commenting now, maybe dash has something to add?!

Dash said...

Although they aren't terribly frequent now, my "gag with a ______" comments were the closest I ever got to Robin's Holy _____ Batman in the old tv show.

By switching what you are gagging yourself with to match the context you can add addition fun to your gross out. Gag me with a tea pot or scone plate would be appropriate response to a tea party. Gag me with a pink caddilac for Mary Kay etc.

roamingwriter said...

I don't like pink either. I'm scared of any of those "party" things where you have to buy something. On the other hand, I love teapots and tea parties and even use tea pots when I'm completely alone. So I have my geeky side.

gigi said...

You're post cracked me up!

I do realize however, that I have the potential to make people gag. I can't help it... :)

I LOVE pink. Absolutely every shade of pink. It makes me so happy! I especially love pink and brown together. It's so cool.

And hello... tea parties and tea pots make me happy too especially when it's cold and yucky outside, like right now.

The whole name matching thing and the blonde hair thing... well that's just gay. Yes, that definitely makes me gag.

shakedust said...

My psychoanalysis of this is that people who continually try to draw attention to themselves bother Golden and she has psychologically associated certain things with those types of people.

f o r r e s t said...

Are you and dust guilty of the same initials thingy.

What you call superficial and fake does not seem to hold up to the definition, thus making you look like the one who is superficial. No offense. But really, if someone enjoys the proper presentation of tea, who are you to call them fake?

I just find the whole thing funny and ironic.

f o r r e s t said...

BTW, I am by no means saying you can't gag over those things. If you don't like them, then you don't like them. I've got a list of things that bother me.

But I do think this is an interesting topic, partly because of my own list and how I am trying to deal with it.

It's all about prejudice, our assumptions of people motivations, yet we don't always know. And then why do I care about it?

And then I see the hypocricy.

Calling someone superficial or fake is a) something kids do in highschool who are concerned about their spot on the social ladder, or b) something that we all recoginize in our own lives as adults.

Oh well, interesting.

Achtung BB said...

What's wrong with tutus?

GoldenSunrise said...

I think my issues come from people that I was close with who did or liked those things listed. I knew their motivations and now I associate superficial/shallow/whaterver you want to call it with those items. They have been tainted for me.

It's mostly a list of pet peeves, things I'm uncomfortable with, or just a matter of taste.

gigi said...

Valentines day is such a "pink holiday"... I love it!

Are you gagging? ;)