Wednesday, August 09, 2006

"trash to treasure"

I have been watching a lot of the decorating programs on TLC. "Trash to Treasure" and "Decorating Cents" are my favorite. Yesterday, on Decorating Cents, a guy found an old basketball hoop rim in the dumpster. He spray painted it silver and put hooks on it. He turned it into a pots and pan rack for the kitchen. Doing that kind of stuff sounds fun to me. I think it is in my blood.

My grandfather was a "junker" when he retired. He went to auctions, bought items, fixed them, and sold them at the next auction. He had a workshop with all kinds of neat stuff lying around.

My parents love to go to garage sales. My mom has been buying wood pieces-furniture, shelves, and picture frames, and either paints, stains, or spray paints them to match her different rooms. This has been her new hobby since they moved into a new house.

I wish I had some time to do things like that.

5 comments:

T said...

We are big salvage people. I love going to flea markets, but I almost always buy, so I have really tried to not go like we use to, because our house is FULL! I hate for things not to get use.

I called the college down the road, because we don't really know anyone who needs stuff and they are taking a bunch of things for us! I am VERY glad that they will be able to put them to use, I have to admit some of it I will miss, but I am tired of storing things for the sake of storing.

"junk" is fun. We have some nice Junk in our home from garage sales!

roamingwriter said...

I love turning something that is nothing or that I got for nothing into something. I'm a slow project person, but I really like doing stuff like that. The best seems to be auctions and big trash day when you get something for almost no money or no money. Ohhh how I miss TLC! I think I mostly watched though and didn't do! Ha!

shakedust said...

Golden loves the yard sales. I love sleeping in when Golden goes with her mom to yard sales.

f o r r e s t said...

I love finding junk with huge potential and then letting it sit around the house.

T said...

It's been years since I went to a yard sale with my mom! She tends to cloths shop/shoe shop while I look at stuff that's for the home and think of 100 ways I could use it! :) Then I try to talk myself out of it.

I don't go with dash because we almost always talk ourselves into it! Then I am stuck trying to get rid of other stuff to make room for the new!

My sister said she's never seen anyone that rotates things in and out of their home like we do! I don't think she means it as a compliment, but I don't mind either! To each his own! It's fun to shake things up a bit! :)