Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Down with Boggle!

I have issues with games that test your speed/quickness at doing things. Speed is not my strong point. I do things deliberately and try to be detailed. I am a smart person but I feel so dumb when I play games that I have to act quickly in.

Dust's family loves to play Boggle. Dust, his sister, and his mom are very quick in writing down all the words that they can find in Boggle. My brain processes things slowly. It takes me awhile to get in the groove of the game. The timer is set and immediately all three of them are writing down word after word after word. I look at the letters and wonder how they are finding all those words they are writing down. We played Boggle with Dust's sister's boyfriend and he is excellent at Boggle also. They were scoring around 36 points per round!! My best was only 9 points per round!!

I try to be a good sport about the game. I have always played when they wanted to play. But I feel so inadequate and stupid in the process. I made a funny comment to Dust's dad about me being permanent time keeper. He replied back with a comment like, "Well what am I going to do then?" Dust's dad played one round with us and then went to do the dishes.

We played two other time related games with Dust's family. There were two puzzles of the same picture. Boys against girls on who could put together the puzzle the quickest. There were too many women around the girls puzzle and I couldn't get through to help with it. There were 22 people in a small living room and kitchen. Dust's mom yelled out the minutes that had gone by without either team completing it. The girls won.

The other game involved words that sounded like Christmas songs. (Example: nocturnal quiet, Silent Night). This game was also girls against boys. Dust's mom yelled out the words and whoever raised their hand first got to answer. Again, my brain processes things slowly and I never got a chance to raise my hand. I do better when I see the words written.

Needless to say, I hate timed games!!!!

5 comments:

T said...

I'm not a big fan of timed games either. ESPECIALLY puzzle games. The larger the group the worse it is for me. My brain is too busy thinking about other stuff to get into the game and really play well. I can totally relate to what you are saying here. I have to admit, I've never played Boggle, so I can't say if I like it or not.

shakedust said...

The main problem is that my family has played games like Boggle our entire lives. Even though I am not a fast thinker either, I have years of practice in Boggle.

Golden is actually very good at the game--especially for having only played it a few times. Games like this make her think that maybe she isn't very intelligent.

I think it is obvious from her blog that Golden is very intelligent.

f o r r e s t said...

I don't think I have ever played boggle either. I like thinking games- that doesn't mean I am any good at them but I like to mull things over for a while.

gigi said...

I absolutely LOVE playing games! Sometimes I rock and then sometimes I don't. I am super competitive when it comes to games. What is your favorite game?

Jadee said...

I hear you on that about timed games. I literally FREEZE. In fact, I told T the other night that I found Text Twist on Yahoo games and liked it but I hate seeing the timer below my letters...LOL! But at least its just my own time/the computer I am competing against!!!

However, we HAD to put a timer on Scrabble for my mother who ALWAYS won...and made sure she found a word to PUT ON THE TRIPLE SCORES...whether anyone heard of it or not....and yes, we had our a copy of the "official" Scrabble Dictionary! =D