Sunday, September 18, 2005

What do you want to be when you grow up?

As a child, people ask you what you want to be when you grow up. I wonder how many people actually end up doing what they said they were going to do as a child? From about 6th grade on, I had said that I wanted to work in accounting. I followed through with what I wanted to do. My mom told me that my favorite toy when I was around five years old was the desk. I do remember writing and drawing things and filing them in folders. (was I a boring child or what?) I love office work and office supplies! I took two accounting classes in high school. There were only four of us that stuck it through Accounting II.

The only problem with sticking with the same interest is that I didn't branch out into any other areas. I know nothing about history, art, music, and literature. I went through college never having to write any papers. I wasn't complaining, but it does seem wrong doesn't it? I wish I had taken a variety of classes, but then again that does get expensive. I suppose I should have taken the initiative on my own to be knowledgeable in all areas. I am just too lazy! I look up to Dust in the fact that he has taken the initiative to know a little bit about everything so he can have a conversation with anyone he meets.

4 comments:

shakedust said...

That was a kind word about me.

I have always proven my geekiness with what I said I wanted to be when I grew up. between grades 3 and 8 I said I wanted to be a paleontologist.

In high school I bounced around between computer work and finance. I still haven't fully made up my mind between those two, so I now work for a financial software company. :)

T said...

I always loved organizing my stuff at home and playing with paper and pens. I wanted to be an office administrator. I would have taken that as a major at Evangel if they hadn't switched it to management and marketing.

I did think for a while geologist would be cool (5th and 6th grade.) I actually have a cousin my age that became one!

f o r r e s t said...

I'm not sure if I'm grown-up yet!

T said...

I told my kids this weekend that when I grow up I want to be a camp host. They aren't sure that's the aspirations I should have! But I think it would be pretty cool!