Thursday, June 09, 2005

The DMV

Today I actually had to step foot in the DMV. There are so many things that you can take care of online or by mail now that I haven't had to go there in person. I did our vehicle registration renewal by mail and thought that I would never have to wait in line there again. Apparantly, to reissue a title for a car requires you to be present.

We just paid off the lien on our car (my car) and we needed to get the title reissued. I have to admit that the DMV has made some changes since I was there last. The machine that gives you a ticket has been upgraded. You have to push the button for what you need done and then the machine gives you a number. I pushed "Title" and out came a number. I heard over the intercom, "Number 267 please go to station # 17." I looked down at my number and it said 269. "Awesome!" I thought to myself. The first time they call your number is to talk to you to make sure you know what you're doing and that you've got all the paperwork you need. That only took me 30 seconds. The guy told me that the second time they call my number, I can get my title taken care of.

So I sat back down and watched the new digital display of numbers. They announce and show two numbers at a time on the screen so I have to pay attention. I do get distracted though by the people walking by because I'm a people watcher. But that's a whole different blog.

I only had to wait maybe 15 minutes until my number was called. The lady that helped me was extremely nice. That doesn't happen too often; especially at the DMV. I was out of there in no time. So, to anyone out there that has to make a visit to the DMV, don't sweat it. Your wait can't be near as long as it used to be.

4 comments:

Jadee said...

Amazing! I guess that would be another point for T to tell me is a good reason to move to KS!

T said...

Yeah, it's not bad at all anymore. I was glad that I didn't have to go in this year. In the past our insurance company wasn't one of the ones you could do online/phone renewals through.

roamingwriter said...

I heard in Espana that it costs $2500 to get your license and it takes people many, many tries to pass! Makes me long for the lines at the DMV!

shakedust said...

The first time Golden and I went to the DMV it took us nearly four hours to retitle our cars, get new plates, etc. I was happy to hear that the process has been streamlined.

Roaming, do they not have automotive taxes or something? That cost is outrageous unless the country is purposefully trying to keep residents from getting too many cars.