Thursday, June 02, 2005

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

No this isn't an obsessive compulsive story. Or a mathematical one.

Forrest will be glad to hear that Dust and I watched "Lost" on Wednesday night. Actually he probably already knows since coffee night is going on as I am writing this. Anyway, I learned many valuable tools on how to improvise if I am ever in a plane crash and land on a deserted island. The tool that I really took to heart was about dealing with fear.

Jack said that he only gives fear five seconds and then he plows through whatever needs to be done. He is a doctor and he told a story about a surgery he performed on someone's spine. He could have freaked out when he touched some of the fibers of the spinal cord, but he decided to give fear five seconds to sink in and then he repaired and sewed up the patient. (I thought that if you messed someone's spinal cord up that was it and they were paralyzed. Maybe I didn't understand the whole story.) I definately couldn't be a doctor or any other occupation that required you to handle emergency situations.

Kate counted to five when she was scared and had lost the guys in the jungle. After that she dealt with her fear and Charlie found her.

I realized that I give fear too much time. I am usually overtaken by it. The next time I am afraid I am going to count to five and then deal with the issue at hand. (I seem to post a lot about fear. I will also quote the scripture verses that were previously recommended.)

4 comments:

roamingwriter said...

Glad you are back online. Often when I wake up in the mornings I'm paralyzed by fear...not knowing what to put my energies toward. This would be a great time to count to five and start something - anything!

f o r r e s t said...

I am glad you guys watched it.
It is a clever show and has a lot of twist and turns like ALIAS. I hope they are replaying the whole season this summer, because I missed a few episodes.

Jadee said...

Thanks for this reminder to keep my head up! Sometimes fear comes in many forms...mine kind of sneaks up on me, then I find myself face down.

windarkwingod said...

My fears are never realized. I'm not saying I don't fear - I deal with fear alot. But the fear itself is always worse and blown out of proportion to the actual task. This has given me a lot of strength and time to catch my breath!