Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Condemning, closed-minded, and stubborn

What makes a person decide to change from the religion that he/she was raised in to pursue another religion or church denomination? I have heard some people say it is in their pursuit for truth. For me, truth is in God's Holy Word-The Bible.

I have been thinking about this recently because my husband and I have three friends now that are attending a church that is not the denomination that they were brought up in. I know that there will not be denominations in heaven and we should all unite in what we have in common. I have never said anything to these friends about it until recently.

A good friend of mine told me that she was attending a messianic jewish church now. She asked me if I was mad and I told her no. I told her I may be a little dissappointed because we wouldn't have the bond of attending the same denomination church. If she is happy and is where she is supposed to be than that is great. She sent an email about how she is observing the passover and the feast of unleavened bread now. She explained what it was all about and said that "these feasts are listed in scripture as to be celebrated forever wherever Israel shall live." The tone of the email to me felt like she was telling everyone that they should celebrate the feast of unleavened bread. I responded to her email with some scripture verses. Here is one of them-Colossians 2: 16,17. "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a new moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however is found in Christ." She did not email me back after that. I sent her an email asking if she was mad at me. She sent me an email last night saying that she wasn't so much mad but that she had given up on me. She said that I had been condemning, closed-minded, and stubborn. I have never been called those three words before. I told her it was fine if she wanted to celebrate the feasts, but that she shouldn't tell others that they need to. If standing up for what you believe in is being closed -minded, than maybe I am.

My friend told me to never write her back again. She said that she will see me in heaven, but that we have too many differences to continue our friendship. I am very sad at this loss.

8 comments:

T said...

I just had a conversation with my mom today regarding this. I told her that I won't stand by anymore when I disagree with my brother. That I think we as his family are doing him and ourselves an injustice by just letting him go. This won't be easy. I won't go looking for fights, I don't think that's right either, but I think all to often we don't stand up for what we believe. I told Mr. T this weekend that to me that's the same as agreeing with the person.

GoldenSunrise said...

t, I am glad you told me this. There have been many times that I have disagreed with someone but never said anything. You are right, it is the same as agreeing with the person. I have always played the "people pleaser" role in most of my dealings with family and friends. With God's help from now on I will stand up for what I think is right.

shakedust said...

Just don't interrupt them to do it. :)

Anonymous said...

I often have a hard time saying what I really think, too. And it's really hard to continue saying what you really think when you have gotten negative responses from your honesty in the past. I am convinced "speaking the truth in love" is a gift . . . one that I probably should pursue a little more steadfastly.

windarkwingod said...

Interesting that most Messianic congregations are filled with Christians out of the Evangelical faith. I attended a Messianic congregation for awhile with my parents. It is amazing what you learn about the Bible and the Hebrew culture. Sometimes this new knowledge combined with hard feelings from the church you grew up with combine to form a powerful experience. Most Messianics I know are extremely dogmatic about the "new truth" that they have discovered. It's a tough talking with them during this first outpouring of emotion. They feel welcomed into a new family, they get to keep their faith in Yeshua, and their past pain and conflict with religion is replaced with a "deeper knowledge" and a higher level of self-esteem. Watching my parents go through this experience and then drift away (as was their habit) from the Messianic faith, I realized that the emotional afterburn can be tough. Your friend may need you when the infatuation is over. (My parents have always church hopped, which is why I'm stubborn enough to stay in one faith I suppose...)

windarkwingod said...

When Roamer and I think of condemning, closed-minded, and stubborn individuals, the first person that pops into our minds is.... Mrs. Dust....?

roamingwriter said...

Interesting that with your shyness you felt bold enough to say something to your friend. It almost seems like one of those attacks where when you get your nerve up to do something right, you get knocked back again. Kudos to you for having the guts to say something. I really need to work on that myself. It's hard to "speak the truth in love" when people are so dogmatic -- it goes back to that being the one who does the right thing again.

Jadee said...

Sorry to hear of this loss for you...

I, personally, believe that the Christian bond is based more on our commitment to God vs. being based on a denomination.

A genuine Christ-follower will not have to "tell others" how to live, but their lives will show the fruits of growth. Others will "seek" what you have.

I will blog about my "divine appointment" I had in the airport on Monday...that ties into this.