Wednesday, May 14, 2008

almost 19 years later

In a section of our bookcase is a collection of books that I had as a child. My parents bought me the "Little House" books that came in their own cardboard case. For some reason NJ has taken a liking to the collection of books. He pulls out each individual book from the case and then puts them back in. When I picked up the "Little House on the Prairie" storybook, I noticed that there was a bookmark inside it. The bookmark was an admission ticket to the Laura Ingalls Wilder home and museum in Mansfield, MO dated July 22, 1989. I got the books at the museum.

I was a little disappointed in myself to realize that I had never finished reading all the books in the Little House series. I only got halfway through the second book. At that moment, I decided that I would finish reading the books right where I left off. Dust thought it was funny that I didn't just start from the beginning of the book again. I kinda skimmed the first half. It is just Laura talking about Pa building the house. I started on the chapter where the family all had fevers. I am really looking forward to the last books about the romance between Laura and Almanzo.

When NJ is playing downstairs, I have been pulling out the Little House book and reading it while he plays. Maybe 19 years from now I will finish the books that I recently stopped reading. This gives me hope that I really can finish books. I am not just fooling myself when I think that I will eventually finish "so and so" book.

5 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I always get a nice sence of accomplishment when I complete a book.

shakedust said...

I proud that you are planning on completing this.

It drives me nuts when I stop a book midway through. It has become necessary on occasion, but it annoys my need for a resolution.

T said...

You go girl! I still haven't finished my Little House book that I bought when Nicky was a baby. You're inspiring, but I still don't think I'll finish it--yet! :) Maybe when she's 19!

roamingwriter said...

I had the little house set too! I don't think I finished them as a kid either. As an adult I rarely don't finish a book. It has to really bother me in some way or I'll drag myself to the end.

Dash said...

... so this is the third time that I've read this post - and since I've been lacking in my comments, I'm trying to comment on most of the recent posts (not just the newests).

I say all that to admit this ......

I kept an (unread)copy of 'The Fellowship of The Ring" that I checked out from the Bixby Public Library from around 1986 until I got around to reading it in 2001.

I sold it the following year in our garage sale before moving to KC.