Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Thanksgiving and Macy's parade

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is next week! After the snow today, though, I am getting in the mood for the holidays. My favorite part of Thanksgiving as a child, and also now, is the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade.

My brother and I loved getting up and watching the parade. I got excited when the Garfield balloon came on the tv screen and I ran and got my Garfield stuffed animals. Other balloons that I liked were Underdog, Snoopy, and most recently SpongeBob. There was a float that had a turkey with eyes that blinked that I always liked. They always highlighted a musical and the performance was boring for a child. During the commercials we would turn the oven light on and watch the turkey. It seems like every year there is a group of kids with white pants and colored gloves that do hand movements. Maybe they were in the happy hands club? : )

Once Santa ended the parade, I knew it was close to time to eat the turkey! It also meant that the Lions football game would be on. My brother would put his Lions jersey and blow-up helmet on and the screaming would begin.

9 comments:

Doc said...

I'll be at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this year! Look for me on TV (amongst the 100,000's of people). I'll probably have to do something to be noticed... Hmmm...

Jadee said...

I am looking forward to Thanksgiving Day too! I have my kids all day this year. I am ready to be making my own T-day dinner though vs. going to our friend's house. You miss out on LEFTOVERS when you do that! Oh well, maybe next year?

We are not going to wait until Thanksgiving to build a fire though! =D The boys have been after me all week...but you know, homework prevails!

T said...

I can almost smell the Turkey now :)!

f o r r e s t said...

I am jealous of Doc. That is a dream of mine.

GoldenSunrise said...

Doc, I will try to watch for you on the tv screen. Let us know what you will be wearing. I am also jealous!

gigi said...

sal used to be able to watch the macy's day parade from his apartment window... now he lives in kansas...

f o r r e s t said...

Yeah, now Sal is in Kansas and can join us for the Plaza lighting which is also a lot of fun.

gigi said...

Can you believe I've never gone to the plaza lighting?

Doc said...

Macy's Parade will be fun, but I'm really going to miss the Plaza Lighting. It was always a highlight. Oh well, there's something to enjoy wherever you find yourself.