Thursday, August 25, 2005

Kane

Rosebud. What does that mean? Dust and I watched Citizen Kane Tuesday night. All through the movie I wanted to know what Kane's dying words meant. I actually guessed that it was probably his sled. I don't know if it was in my subconscious somewhere or not. I remember the line Rosebud from the tv special on the top 100 quotes from movies. I don't remember if they showed the sled in the furnace or not on the tv special.

I thought the movie was excellent! Dust teased me because I used to think that "black and white" movies were boring. I love when movies give great character development. It made me think about how someone's personality could change so much. What made him become so controlling and vicious? Was it because he hadn't been in control of his life growing up? His mother didn't help him any by sending him away to boarding school. Power and riches were handed to him. When he was a young adult he thought it would be fun to run a newspaper. That "fun" that he had turned into wanting to control what mass audiences thought.

I guess the older one gets, the more set-in-their-ways they become. Especially if the person isn't married. With Kane, his two wives didn't have much of an influence on his personality. That goes against my theory. They were both pleasers or enablers so maybe that has something to do with it. It is a fictional story so maybe I shouldn't analyze it too much.

6 comments:

roamingwriter said...

I can't remember if I've seen this one. I need to revisit it. I love the intense old b/w movies, but Dar hasn't been a fan of them. He had to watch a lot at my parents house when we were dating and he warmed to them, but we never rent them. I may look them up once we figure out how to rent movies.

T said...

so, was it better or worse then wednesday's movie?!

Dash said...

T and I put Kane in our Queue, but then ended up not watching it. The black and whites tend to ust sit on top of the tv until we send the others back. If I remember right, we got about 5 minutes in and were sufficiently bored enough to see what was on Stars/Encore.

Maybe we should have stuck it out.

GoldenSunrise said...

Yeah, the part after his dying words was a tad-bit boring. Once the stupid headlines part was over it got into the meat of the story. I like to finish movies that I start. I am not that way with books, however.

I can't really compare a classic 1941 black and white movie to a modern romantic comedy, "The Wedding Date." For those of you who haven't seen "The Wedding Date", the fact that the man/date is a whore ruins the movie. Is it possible to fall in love with a male prostitute?

shakedust said...

I never fell in love with a male prostitute, which I am sure is a relief to Golden.

The point of the Citizen Kane seemed to be to relay a very shallow description of a man then go deeper and deeper into his personality through the people who knew him. You start the movie liking him, then hating him, then liking him, then being confused about him. At the end you get an idea af what actually motivated his personality.

I enjoyed it, but I can see where some people would believe the story to be slow, even if they get through the newsreel at the very beginning of the flick.

windarkwingod said...

I watch a ton of Black & white footage... Mostly about WW II. I'm beginning to enjoy more B&W movies just to look at the details of living in that time - like the clothes - the old cars - the way they decorated their houses - and even those funny accents. I think: did Americans really talk with those accents? But nothing beats a good helicopter explosion in color.