Thursday, January 20, 2011

msg

I went grocery shopping with a friend recently. She showed me what items typically have msg in them. I didn't even know what msg stood for. Monosodium glutamate. Apparently, msg can trigger migraines. I plan on cutting back or eliminating chips with flavoring like ranch or bbq. There is msg in ramen noodles which I usually eat about once a week. I'm hoping that changing our diets a bit will help Nathan's issues. Both he and I have problems with attention span. I'm also considering buying some organic foods. Chloe drinks organic milk. I'm going to try to limit red and yellow dyes. I can't believe that there is red dye in Flinstone vitamins.
I never thought I would ever go the organic and healthy route in eating. I know that something needs to change with our family. I'm hoping that changing our diet will help us feel better, less cranky, less whiney, less tired.

4 comments:

shakedust said...

This all is a learning process.

T said...

There is so much connected to what we eat. I couldn't believe how much Nicky's behavior/attention issues improved when we figured out her allergies. I hope that you figure it out. It's not easy changing things we eat, but when we feel better, it's worth it.

roamingwriter said...

I have never had allergies or food issues, but the older I get I'm noticing dairy bothers me late at night (ice cream). I know one Chinese restaurant in Spain makes me feel nauseous and I've wondered about MSG sensitivity. Honestly I've never tried to change my diet but lately I've been convicted about eating food close to it's natural form (not processed foods). We'll see if I make more effort or not! Good for you for trying!

T said...

So how's the transition been?