Thursday, March 23, 2006

the "new" smell

The company I work for moved into its new office suite last week. When you walk in the door, you can smell the "new" smell. The space was newly renovated and all furniture and appliances are new. I have a new chest of drawers for hanging file folders and a new desk. I also have a 15 inch flat screen monitor and a Dell computer. There are new black leather chairs in the waiting area and also the conference room. The kitchen has a new black dishwasher and fridge. Black is the common theme throughout the office.

It has been fun putting new office supplies in the new furniture. I filled my desk drawer with pens, notepads, white-out, highlighters, paperclips and etc. It was also fun organizing what files go in what drawers. The fridge was filled with pop and water. There are actual dishes in the kitchen cabinets that we can use.

I think I have learned how to use all the new gadgets. Most office phone systems are similar. The copier looks like any other copier that I have used. The Pitney Bowes postage meter was real simple to use.

Today we had Quickbooks 2006 installed in our computers. Now I have new software to learn. It operates the same as the older version, but has more cool features. Also, I can now fax from my computer without having to get out of my seat! I am definitely getting spoiled.

6 comments:

T said...

spoiled for sure! My mom tried to get me to take her "new car" air freshner but I said, no thanks. That's the closest I've been to new in a while.

Dash said...

My 17in flat panel monitor won't make up for the fact that I don't heve door (like some people I know) - but it may just be enough to keep me from being insanely jealous.

I'm just insane

Dash said...

...sorry ... I don't "have a" door.

Jadee said...

I thought your post was going to be about your not being able to be around certain smells while pregnant...LOL!

windarkwingod said...

Funny that we all know what that "new smell" is but it is very tough for me to describe with adjectives

shakedust said...

I wonder if there is something about the smell that is desirable or if it is just because it is associated with new things.

I love the smell of new carpet, but I think that is because I psychologically associate the smell with some of the most fun times I can remember. There were two instances when I was a kid that I got to play in a huge auditorium right after carpet was laid and I remember having a blast.